Endocrinology and Diabetes
Endocrinology & Diabetes
Endocrinology is the medical branch that deals with glands and the hormones produced by our body. The doctors who are specialised in this field are known as endocrinologists who deal with metabolism, or all the biochemical processes that help your body function, including the process of changing food into energy by the body.
Endocrine disorders are caused because of the hormonal imbalance of the Endocrine glands. The 3 types of disorders are: – 1)Hypo-secretion of a Hormone 2) Hypersecretion of a hormone 3) Development of tumours in the Endocrine System.
What our Endocrinologists Do?
They diagnose and treat a lot of conditions that affect your body:
- They treat adrenal glands that is on top of kidneys which controls things like blood pressure, metabolism, stress response, and sex hormones
- Bone metabolism, like osteoporosis
- Hypothalamus controls body temperature, hunger, and thirst.
- Pancreas whose work is to produce insulin and other substances for digestion.
- Parathyroids are small glands in neck that maintains the calcium in the blood
- A pea-sized gland at the bottom of brain that keeps hormones balanced known as pituitary gland.
- Reproductive glands (gonads): ovaries in women, testicles in men
- Thyroid controls metabolism, brain growth, energy and development.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that occurs when the metabolism process fails and the body produces less insulin due to which blood sugar level rises. As diabetes is also related to hormones so an endocrinologists can review and treat you.
When to See an Endocrinologist regarding Diabetes
Your regular doctor can treat diabetes, but they might refer you to an endocrinologist when:
- You have just acquired diabetes and need to learn how to manage it.
- You use a lot of shots or need an insulin pump.
- Your diabetes has become worse to manage, or your treatment isn’t working.
- You have complications in diabetes.